Friday 30 October 2009

Episode 404 - Sweet Pumpkin With Dried Shrimps

My Aunt gave us some pumpkin the other day and my Mum asked me to cook it. It was my first time cooking pumpkin and I must say it came out pretty good though I just "hantam" the ingredients and how to cook it. It's really "lemak" because of the coconut milk but yet all the vege just blends well with the dried shrimps and sambal. This, you got to try. Great for "makan-makan" with the family.

Pumpkin with Dried Shrimps

Ingredients:

A:3/4 cup dried shrimps; soaked in hot water, drained & cleaned, 1 chilli; deseeded, 2 shallots, 1 garlic, 1 tspn ready made "Sambal Belachan" (get it from the Supermarket)

B: 3 cups of Pumpkin; cut into large cubes, 1/4 cabbage; cut into 2" x 2" size, A few strings of long beans; cut into 3" length, 1 tomato; quartered, 2 cups of Coconut Milk , 1 cup of Water or less


Method: Blend ingredients A or pound them using a Pastor & Mortar. Put 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a small deep pan and saute the blended/pounded ingredients until you can smell the aroma. Pour in the coconut milk and water and stir it. Let it simmer for a few minutes under medium heat and place the rest of the ingredients in and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the pumpkin and veges are tender. Add salt, sugar and stir. Switch off fire and cover with the lid. The trapped heat will let the vege continue cooking in the pan.

Serves: 4

*Tip*: Add fresh shrimps into this dish because it will just double the sweetness!
Btw I know the pic doesn't really look appealling but I promise you it really taste better than it looks. I just don't have the photography skills :p