Friday 5 February 2010

Episode 505 - Singapore Food Galore : Day 1

I promised that I would post up my foodie experiences from my vacay in Singapore and this is what I encountered from the first day! I was really excited about this trip cos it has been a really long while that I haven't travelled to Singapore. Nearly 10 years I must say and Oh my has it developed so well with state of the Art architectural designed buildings to Merz taxis! The Airport was da bomb and the services were fantastico! Would definitely go back there sometime soon cos eating there is just one of the best experiences I had ever!

So as I arrived at Singapore Airport, I was abit hungry and thought that I'd grab some snacks over at the many standing kiosks selling coffee and sandwiches and tarts. My first food encounter would be this scrumptious Apple Puff. It was on promotion, hope it's not like old stock or something but regardless it was good, SGD2.90 for 2 puffs.

Apple Puff at the Singapore Airport

Lunch was at Bugis Street! We had 'otak-otak' (fish meat marinated in spices, wrapped in a banana leaf and grilled), 'Nasi Lemak', Duck noodles and 'Laksa'. Pretty pure street food. The best is enjoying the food sitting at the street side, out in the open air. Love it!

Nasi Lemak & 'Otak-Otak' wrapped in banana leaves at Bugis Street

Next would be dinner at Marche situated at Somerset 313 mall. Now, that's an experience. We celebrated our friend Mei's birthday there and had such a great time trying out the many food they had! The restaurant had a real interesting environment to it. Pretty much a bit of European style. The interiors were of wooden furnishings decorated with fresh (very fresh and not the plastic ones) fruits and vegetables. It's really like market style at Marche. I must say that it's one of the best way to order your food, they have small stalls of variety of food like potatoes, pizza, grill, salad, soups and desert. And at each stall, you can tell them how you want your meat or potatoes or salad to be cooked & prepared. Very unique! Before you start ordering, they will give you a card where you can swap at each different counters you ordered and just accumulate and pay at the cashier once you're done! We had everything there. From the pizzas with our favourite toppings up till the grilled lamb ribs *yums*! The dinner finished off with the best ice cream by Movenpick (Swiss Ice cream). You should definitely try the Creme Brule flavour! It blew our minds off!

Creme Brule Ice cream by Movenpick at Marche, Somerset 313

Till the next post on Day 2 in Singapore Food Galore, eat right and stay healthy!