Monday 12 April 2010

Episode 515 - Parmesan Eggplant

Parmesan Eggplant

Many of you might not be very fond of the taste of egg plants. But it's one of my favourite vegetable especially when cooked with anchovies and dark soya sauce or in curries. So I came up with this recipe when I was watching an episode of 'How I Met Your Mother' where Ted was having a 2 minute date with Stella in Season 3. They had Parmesan Eggplant and surprisingly when I got home I had Parmesan cheese and egg plants in the fridge so I tried this out and they were actually not bad. Well, they were abit salty cos I forgot that the butter I used was salted. So ya, be sure to check whether the butter you're using is salted or not because it can make a huge difference to your dish!

Ingredients:
Eggplants; cut 1/2 cm thick and 3 inch long and score one side with the tip of a knife
(Or if you have the round and stumpy type just cut 1/2 cm thick)

Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salted Butter
Pepper to taste

Method:

Before the eggplants are cooked

On a lightly greased baking tray, place all the eggplants,s cored side up and place a pinch of butter on top of each eggplant. Sprinkle as much parmesan on top, around a teaspoon each eggplant would do and bake in oven for around 10 minutes or more at 220 degrees (Gas marked 7). The eggplants are cooked when they have shrunk and the skin turns into army green in colour. Pepper can be sprinkled before or after baking.

A fantastic dish as it is or accompanied by any other American or Italian maincourses. Tastes good with the skin on but if you do not like the bitterness of the baked skin, you can just scoop the meat out with your spoon.