Wednesday 9 June 2010

Episode 602 - Bobby Chinn @ HalalExpo & Chicken Wanton with Ginger Dip

Definitely framing this up! I look Super Cina in this pic man. Apparently we are "enthusiastic" fans with Internationally renowned Celebrity Chef Bobby Chinn
-Borneo Bulletin, 5th June

I had a Super exciting weekend! I personally met Celebrity Chef Bobby Chinn last Friday at the HalalExpo, ICC , Berakas! It was surreal that he just stood right in front of me. I could hear my own heartbeat in my ears when I approached him, shook his hand and asked for an autograph. That reminds me, still have my Wild Wild East book with Dina hmmm Hope she did'nt sell it on e-bay. Ok, back to the HalalExpo. This is his second time in Brunei doing a demo show for HalalExpo and it was actually abit disappointing at the beginning because he had to wait for people to crowd up and actually start the show. Finally after an hour or so, the room warmed up and the show started. He was really funny and sarcastic. Kept on teasing about the lousy knife they had for him and that dude from RBC in the crowd who had his own idea of cooking. But all in all it was such a great experience and I was so damn lucky to be part of that event. It even earned my friends and I the front page news on our local paper the following Saturday. Groupies for the Chef. Wait, correction, more like Supermodels for the Chef.

Next, a lil recipe my mum and I whipped up. We make this once a while as it needs quite abit of time to prepare. Just devote some time in the evening and you can enjoy this for breakfast the next day.

Chicken Wantons with Ginger Dipping Sauce

Ingredients: 1 packet Wanton Skin (Round or Square shaped) A: 400g of minced Chicken 50g of Carrot; diced 50g of Water Chestnut; diced 50 g of Shitake Mushrooms; diced 2 tbspns Sesame Oil 2 tbspns Light Soya Sauce A pinch of salt & pepper B: (Dipping Sauce) Ginger; thinly shredded 1/2 cup light soya sauce 1/4 cup of Rice Vinegar

Method: Mix all ingredients A well. Spread a Wanton skin on the palm of your hand, take a tablespoon of the meat filling and place it at one side of the Wanton skin. Fold the other side over and seal it by pinching the sides. Repeat until all skins are used up.

Boil a pot of water and place the wantons into the boiled water until they float up. using a strainer, pick up the cooked wantons and place it in a lightly oiled dish.

Mix ingredients B and serve with the Wantons.


Serves: 5

*Tip*: Do not place so much filling as it might not get cooked. You can also panfry the cooked wanton until it is a lil brown on the sides and serve with the same sauce. After boiling, drizzle a little more oil on top to avoid the Wantons from sticking with each other. Serves really well with Noodles and a hot bowl of soup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment