Sunday 26 April 2009

Episode 103 - Good Food in Kuching, Sarawak

Sizzling Beef

Steamed Promphet

The oh-so-nyaman prawn with peanut sauce

The mix vege (right) and roti, another glimpse of the peanut prawn (top)

I asked some of my friends to check out my blog yesterday and asked for their advise. Most of them were positive and they gave me a few good tips! Thanks guys! So i checked out other food bloggers and I thought I lacked some sort of organisation with the Ingredients area and Methods. So guys, I edited my posts and I think they look better. Then I found out that there are at least 3 or four others with the same title for their food blog :oS Guess I'll change it into something local when I think of a good one!

So guys, last December 2008, my family and I went back to Kuching (my mum's hometown) to visit our relatives there. It' s been so long since I went back to visit my Grandmother and it felt really good to meet my Aunts, Uncles and Cousins after 10 years! I met my little cousin Darren and OMG he's so adorable and smart! He talked like an adult!

So there's nothing much in Kuching. There was a new shopping mall called The Spring which was not bad. I managed to spend my Ka-Ching away :oS hehe but it was all good fun. The only best thing about Kuching was it's food!

THE Best Dinner!

On the 1st night we had dinner at this Seafood restaurant called "Rock" Seafood. I hope I got that right. We had several darn good dishes and some purely Teo chew dishes. It was the first time I had a vege dish which was consisted of several types of beans together! Then there was the Sayur Bayam which was cooked with garlic but topped off with crispy baby Bilis and Century Egg! Astonishingly, it was so nyaman! We ordered their special in-house prawns with peanut sauce. I must say it was rather a unique dish. But the taste was out of this world. And then there was the steam Promphet fish (Ikan Bawal Putih/ Phek Chio) with Shitake mushrooms, Ginger and Sour Plums. The fish was so fresh that I couldn't stop eating. And it was the biggest Promphet I've ever seen hehe.

As side dishes they served buns. It really tasted like donuts just without the sugar. By the time the last dish arrived, we were really full. So we had to force ourselves to finish up the Sizzling Beef cooked with Bell peppers.

Here are some pics of the dishes. I just realised I didn't take a photo of the Spinach with Bilis and Century egg and remembered it was so good that we finished it quite fast!
Here's my recipe for a simple Steamed Promphet:

Teochew Style Steam Promphet Fish

Ingredients:
2 ekor Fresh Promphets (Medium sized ones)
4 Shitake Mushrooms
2 inches of Ginger
1 Chilli
3 Sour Plums ("Jeruk"-ed in the jar)
Salt
Pepper
Oil

Method:
First, get a steamer ready and let the water boil for abit.

After scalling and de-gill the fishes, marinate them with salt and pepper and set it aside for an hour or so. Then place the fishes in a porcelain dish and garnish it with the stripped ginger, chillies and mushrooms (chillies and mushrooms to be cut in strips too). Lastly put the sour plums and abit of the sauce from the jar around the fish. Make sure you sqaush the plums abit so the taste will ooze out when the fishes are steaming. Drizzle some oil on top and then place the dish into the steamer and steam for around 10-15 minutes until flesh turns white.

There you go, enjoy it with a bowl of rice.

Serves: 3-4