Saturday 12 December 2009

Episode 407 - Dinner at Marina Bay, Miri, Sarawak

5 great dishes plus 3 types of soups , great company and a Wedding Anniversary, equals to a great dinner. We celebrated my parents' Wedding Anniversary at Marina Bay, a seafood restaurant at a spectacular location. Other than enjoying great food, you can also enjoy the great view of the sea especially during Sunset. I love the sounds of waves crashing against the rocks and the wind gushing through my hair, making it look like one of the Storm Riders Haha. Again, this place was introduced by a very handsome boss, who is one of my sidekicks who brought me and my gfs there for dinner a few months back.

We ordered the following: Steamed Philippine Crab with Egg White & Soya Sauce, Steamed Grouper with Soya Sauce, Spinach with Anchovies & Century Egg (I didn't put 's' cos there was seriously just half a century egg in this dish, karit eh), the very nyaman & crunchy Lotus Root with Salted Egg Yolk and my personal favourite with lots of meaning behind it stir fried Venison with Ginger and Chives!

My Dad LOVEd the lotus root! I tell you, it is finger licking good! I mean the idea of combining Salted Egg yolk and curry leaves with thinly sliced lotus root is just out of this world! Spectacular dish! It has the same recipe as the fried chicken at Chempaka, BSB. Will post that one up soon. As for the rest of the dishes, they were good. Very lightly dished out and not oily. The crab was great, the fact that it was humongous and 1 crab could feed 4 of us! I love the sweet succulent taste of crab meat but I really dislike the process of getting the meat out of the shell. Ngeh. Fingers smelled of crab after that. And yes, restaurants should provide that gadget to get the crab meat out of the shell. It's like a little tiny fork but with only 2 teeth. The Spinach was a disappointment. Compared to the one at Rocky Restaurant in Kuching, it wasn't as good. Then there were 3 types of soups we ordered out of hunger haha. We had the Szechuan Hot and Sour Soup, Fish Maw Soup & Mushroom with Sea cucumber soup. Out of all the soups, the fish Maw was the best but the cook kind of put a lil too much vinegar in the Sea cucumber one. All in all, I think they have other better and great dishes which I am yet to try out.

Out of 10, I'm giving this a 6.5! Definitely a place you should try out! How to go? It is at Miri, Tanjong Lobang. The junction to go in is just before the Park Everly Hotel and you can see a huge neon Marina Bay sign. Also, it has a huge seahorse structure at the side of the Restaurant. You might want to check that out too!

Here are the dishes! I kinda forgot to take pics of the soups! :(

In case you're wondering what that yellow hairy stuff on the fish's head is, it's deep fried thinly shredded ginger!

From Top to Bottom:

Spinach with Century Egg, Crispy Fried Lotus Root with Salted Egg Yolk, Steamed Crab with Soya Sauce & Egg White, Stir Fried Venison with Ginger & Chives & Steamed Grouper in Soya Sauce