Monday 21 December 2009

Episode 411 - Kitchen Essentials - The Crab Eating Gadget & Fried Ambuyat at Jade Crystal Cafe

These are the 2 basic gadgets you need to eat your crab or lobster with. Very useful to get the bits of meat out of the body and legs. The top one is actually a nut cracker so, if you have one, it works the same to crack the shells of the claws. The one below is a two ended gadget, one end with a narrow spoon to scoop meat out and the other end is a 2 teethed short fork, also to pick meat out of the narrow areas. You can get one which works well at any Supermarket, costing under B$ 5.00. A pretty branded one would probably cost more than B$20.

Seafood Cracker and Picks

Anyway, came across a pretty interesting dish. It's called fried 'Ambuyat'. First time I've heard of it and first time I've tasted it. Shockingly good! Pretty similar to the fried Carrot cake or Lobak/Char Kwey (one of the best Teochew dishes ever!) which is fried with egg, dried shrimps and bean sprouts. It's available at Jade Crystal Kopitiam & Cafe, Kampong Madang, BSB. Pretty secluded area but I think it's a real worth to go there and have a bite. I had my favourite drink with Soursop in it. I've really missed that because the last I had that was during my Uni years. The cafe also serve various dishes ranging from sandwiches to rice. I had the Nasi Goreng homestyle with crackers and chicken on the side. My friends tried the Ayam Penyet, Nasi Lemak and Fish and Chips. The portion of each dish was just nice for a person. Didn't get to try the Oreo Cheesecake. Heard that it is really good. And not regretting going there at all because we saw our Uni friends who were also dining to the good food.

So, do try the fried Ambuyat! I think some would really like the texture of it in their mouth. I will post a pic once I get hold of a clear one because the one I took was with my phone and it was pretty blur. Alright, see you in the next post!