Sunday 28 June 2009

Episode 210 - Seafood at Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

I went to KK for the past weekend and I can tell you I had lots of seafood that weekend especially fish dishes!! There were fish and chips, sauted fish with tomato sauce, steamed fish and everything else in between. I think that you can get lots of fresh seafood in KK as they say the Port is near for fresh caught fish to come in. Anyway, my family and I went to a famous Seafood Restaurant situated in KK town, opposite to the Waterfront, beside Promenade Hotel. It's called Ocean's Seafood Restaurant (I hope that's right). They had a wedding dinner in one of their halls so it was pretty packed. Plus it was the School Holidays and there were lots of people on vacation. We had to wait and take a number for a table but it was pretty fast, while waiting we went to take a look at the fresh seafood available and picked what we wanted for dinner, and how we want it ot be cooked. The results were:


From Top to Bottom: Steamed Red Snapper - Traditional Chinese Style with Soya Sauce, Shellfish with Fermented Tofu sauce, Japanese Tofu with Seafood Claypot and the Famous "Sabah" Vegetable stir fried with dried shrimps.

I'd give an A to the Steamed fish. The rest I'd just give a strong B. The Shellfish (which I am not sure of the name) was just simply steamed and served with the fermented tofu sauce ("Huju") and it was really good! The Japanese tofu tasted like any other restaurant's cooking and the "Sabah" Vege was rather unique but it was pretty striingy to swallow. However, I forgot to take a pic of the deep fried Mantis Prawn we had and it was delicious, better than Lobster! If only there was more meat but you know what they say, Less is More!

The Aftermath: Empty Dishes = BURPPP

Notice that there were still some Shellfish left as the meat was pretty hard to be yanked out with the toothpicks! We just really gave up at this point hehe and ya the other empty dish at the top was another Vege dish we had, name unknown because they serve vegetables which I've never heard and seen of! Haha I'll update my food dictionary soon ya! Teehee

Alright, the next post would be on a Chicken recipe I tried from the "85 Popular Classic Dishes". Stay tuned and Don't miss any of your meals!!! XOXO